Monday, May 4, 2009

Finding juniper berries in Melbourne




Thanks goodness for IT crashes- our computers came crashing down today, so we all got an early mark- if you can call 9.30 am an early mark- I didn't even make it to the office. I had some kitchen tasks to take care of that I hadn't managed on the weekends, so had a lovely day of it.
Thank goodness too for Basfoods in Brunswick- if there is any food of the continental persuasion that you can't find, head to 423 Victoria Street Brunswick, cause you'll more than likely find it there. Its like a Bunnings with continental food- a big warehouse style environment with simple interior and what I consider cheap prices. They have nuts and dried fruits, beans and pulses, a fantastic range of spices, loads of pickles and conserves, olives, sauces and cheeses.

I was after juniper berries and lima beans today. Even my little Indian spice store on Nicholson Street didn't have the juniper berries- and I had thought they have everything- the lady was very apologetic, I think she thought she had everything too!

The juniper berries were for the first red cabbage I've made in ages- and it was delicious!

Sweet and sour and delicious, I adapted this recipe from the German magazine "Essen und Trinken"- if you can be bothered tracking down some juniper berries, try this good German home food cooking!
Red Cabbage with Cranberries
Ingredients
1/2 red onion (chopped)
1 small red cabbage (quartered, core removed and sliced, not too finely)
2 dsp oil
3 tsp sugar
4 dsp red wine vinegar
100ml orange juice
100ml vege stock
bay leaf
3 juniper berries
50 blackcurrant jelly
2 tsp cornflour
handful dried cranberries (or 100g frozen cranberries)

Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and cabbage lightly sautee. Add the sugar and let it caramelise a bit.
Add vinegar, orange juice and stock. Season with salt, the bay leaf and juniper berries. Let it simmer with the lid on for an hour, season again with salt and then add the blackcurrant jelly.
Put the cornflour in some water and stir till smooth. Add in to the cabbage, then add cranberries.
Simmer for 15 minutes stirring regularly.
Preparation time 10 - 15 minutes. Cooking time 90 minutes.

Enjoy with any pork dish, even just a simple pork chop, or with beef- as we did tonight with super-slow-cooked beef, mash and some beetroots.

3 comments:

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge said...

wow, a day off before you even make it to the office, I wish that would happen to me. I dont think I've ever cooked with juniper berries before, but they are so colourful and cheery, i should try them myself

Maree said...

They really are beautiful- I'm loving the feeling of autumn- most of my recent cooking has tinges of purple or orange- its really colouring my mood- in a good way : )

Unknown said...

i followed your rav link to your blog and now am starving from reading all these wonderful recipes.

next snb meet you and i are sitting down to a good foodie chat! btw - i love german food too but would never have thought to put juniper berries in my red cabbage...must try that. as an aside my mum makes kick butt cabbage rolls!